How to use SPIRIVA HANDIHALER (tiotropium bromide inhalation powder)
Use SPIRIVA HANDIHALER once a day, every day, to help you breathe better.
Before you use SPIRIVA HANDIHALER for the first time, and each time you refill your prescription, carefully read the Instructions for Use.
Don’t have a PDF reader? Get Adobe® Reader® here.
Please see Important Safety Information below.
SPIRIVA HANDIHALER has been helping patients manage COPD for more than 10 years. If you have more questions about how to use SPIRIVA HANDIHALER, ask your doctor for further information.
SPIRIVA RESPIMAT is a slow-moving mist that helps relax your airways and keep them open for 24 hours.
Tips for making SPIRIVA HANDIHALER part of your daily routine:
- Take SPIRIVA HANDIHALER at the same time every day. It will be easier to remember. And since SPIRIVA HANDIHALER lasts 24 hours, your airways will be open all day
- Pair taking SPIRIVA HANDIHALER with another activity you do every day, like watching the news
- Set a daily reminder alarm on your computer, mobile phone, or watch
- Ask a reliable friend to email or text you a daily reminder
When and how to clean your HANDIHALER Device
Clean your HANDIHALER device as needed.
- It takes 24 hours to air-dry your HANDIHALER device after you clean it
- Do not use cleaning agents or detergents
- Do not place your HANDIHALER device in the dishwasher for cleaning
Cleaning steps: 1 of 4
- Open the dust cap and mouthpiece
- Open the base by lifting the green piercing button
Cleaning steps: 2 of 4
- Rinse your HANDIHALER device with warm water, pressing the green piercing button a few times so that the center chamber and the piercing needle are under the running water
- Check that any powder buildup or SPIRIVA capsule pieces are removed
Cleaning steps: 3 of 4
- Dry your HANDIHALER device well by tipping the excess water out on a paper towel
- Air-dry afterwards, leaving the dust cap, mouthpiece, and base open by fully spreading it out so that it dries completely
Cleaning steps: 4 of 4
- Do not use a hair dryer to dry your HANDIHALER device
- Do not use your HANDIHALER device when it is wet. If needed, you may clean the outside of the mouthpiece with a clean damp cloth
How do I store SPIRIVA HANDIHALER?
- Do not store SPIRIVA capsules in the HANDIHALER device
- Store SPIRIVA capsules in the sealed blister package at room temperature 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C)
- Keep SPIRIVA capsules away from heat and cold (do not freeze)
- Store SPIRIVA capsules in a dry place. Throw away any unused SPIRIVA capsules that have been open to air
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about storing your SPIRIVA capsules.
Keep SPIRIVA HANDIHALER, SPIRIVA capsules, and all medicines out of the reach of children.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
for SPIRIVA RESPIMAT (tiotropium bromide) Inhalation Spray and
SPIRIVA HANDIHALER (tiotropium bromide inhalation powder)
Do not use SPIRIVA RESPIMAT or SPIRIVA HANDIHALER if you are allergic to tiotropium, ipratropium, atropine or similar drugs, or any ingredient in these medicines.
SPIRIVA RESPIMAT or SPIRIVA HANDIHALER are not rescue medicines and should not be used for treating sudden breathing problems. Your doctor may give you other medicine to use for sudden breathing problems.
SPIRIVA RESPIMAT or SPIRIVA HANDIHALER can cause allergic reactions. Symptoms can include raised red patches on your skin (hives), itching, rash and/or swelling of the lips, tongue, or throat that may cause difficulty in breathing or swallowing. If you have any of these symptoms, stop taking the medicine and seek emergency medical care.More Important Safety Information
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
for STIOLTO RESPIMAT (tiotropium bromide and olodaterol) Inhalation Spray
People with asthma who take long-acting beta2-agonist (LABA) medicines, such as olodaterol, (one of the medicines in STIOLTO), have an increased risk of death from asthma problems. It is not known if LABA medicines, such as olodaterol (one of the medicines in STIOLTO), increase the risk of death in people with COPD. STIOLTO has been approved for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) only. STIOLTO is NOT to be used in asthma.
Do not use STIOLTO if you are allergic to tiotropium, ipratropium, atropine or similar drugs, olodaterol, or any ingredient in STIOLTO. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include rash, hives, swelling of the face, mouth, and tongue, and breathing problems. Call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical care if you get any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction. Do not use STIOLTO for treating sudden breathing problems. Always have a rescue inhaler with you to treat sudden symptoms.
Do not use STIOLTO more often or at higher doses than prescribed by your doctor. Do not use STIOLTO with other LABAs or anticholinergics. Get emergency medical care if your breathing problems worsen quickly or if you use your rescue inhaler but it does not relieve your breathing problems. Call your healthcare provider if breathing problems worsen over time while using STIOLTO.More Important Safety Information