SPIRIVA® Respimat® Dosage & Administration
The content below contains references to information available within the Summary of Product Characteristics and other published sources.
The recommended dose for adults is 5mcg taken as 2 puffs of 2.5 mcg once a day taken at the same time of the day.1 One SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler contains 60 puffs (30 doses) if it is used as indicated (two puffs once a day).1 The recommended dose should not be exceeded.1
Instructions for use
SPIRIVA® Respimat® is intended for inhalation use only. The cartridge should only be inserted and used in the SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler.1
The following information provides instructions on how the SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler should be used daily. The patient should perform the following steps:1
- Breathe out slowly and fully.
- Close your lips around the mouthpiece without covering the air vents.
- While taking a slow, deep breath through the mouth, PRESS the dose-release button and continue to breathe in slowly for as long as comfortable.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds or for as long as comfortable.
- Repeat TURN, OPEN, PRESS for a total of 2 puffs.
- Close the cap until you use your inhaler again.
Prepare for first use
Before using the SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler for the first time, the patient should perform the following steps:1
- Point the inhaler towards the ground.
- Press the dose-release button.
- Close the cap.
- Repeat steps 4-6 until a cloud is visible.
- After a cloud is visible, repeat steps 4-6 three more times.
How to care for the SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler
The patient should clean the mouthpiece, including the metal part inside the mouthpiece, with a damp cloth or tissue only, at least once a week. Any minor discolouration in the mouthpiece does not affect the performance of the SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler. If necessary, the patient can wipe the outside of the SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler with a damp cloth.1
When should the patient get a new SPIRIVA® Respimat®?
The SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler contains 60 puffs (30 doses) if used as indicated (two puffs/once daily). The dose indicator shows approximately how much medication is left. When the dose indicator enters the red area of the scale, there is approximately medication for seven days left (14 puffs) and the patient needs to get a new prescription. Once the dose indicator reaches the end of the red scale the SPIRIVA® Respimat® inhaler locks automatically and no more doses can be released. At this point, the patient cannot turn the clear base any further. SPIRIVA® Respimat® should be discarded three months after the patient has prepared it for first use, even if it has not been fully used or used at all.1