How to use SPIRIVA HandiHaler
Use SPIRIVA HandiHaler once a day, every day to help you breathe better.
When used as directed, one daily dose of SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help keep your airways open for a full 24 hours to improve lung function as well as reduce the likelihood of COPD flare-ups (also called exacerbations). Before you use SPIRIVA HandiHaler for the first time and each time you refill your prescription, carefully read the Instructions for Use.
Using your HandiHaler
Two ways to learn: watch the how-to video or download the full Instructions for Use—including a helpful one-page overview.
Chapter 2Brief demonstration
Chapter 3Detailed demonstration
Chapter 4Cleaning and storage
Chapter 5Reminders and Important Safety Information
If you have more questions about how to use SPIRIVA HandiHaler, ask your doctor for further information.
Tips for making SPIRIVA HandiHaler part of your daily routine:
- Take SPIRIVA HandiHaler at the same time every day. It will be easier to remember. And since SPIRIVA HandiHaler lasts 24 hours, your airways will be open all day
- Pair taking SPIRIVA HandiHaler with another activity you do every day, like watching the news
- Set a daily reminder alarm on your computer, mobile phone, or watch
- Ask a reliable friend to email or text you a daily reminder
When and how to clean your HandiHaler device
Clean your HandiHaler device as needed.
- It takes 24 hours to air-dry your HandiHaler device after you clean it
- Do not use cleaning agents or detergents
- Do not place your HandiHaler device in the dishwasher for cleaning
1 of 4
- Open the dust cap and mouthpiece
- Open the base by lifting the green piercing button
2 of 4
- Rinse your HandiHaler device with warm water, pressing the green piercing button a few times so that the center chamber and the piercing needle are under the running water. Check that any powder buildup or SPIRIVA capsule pieces are removed
3 of 4
- Dry your HandiHaler device well by tipping the excess water out on a paper towel. Air-dry afterwards, leaving the dust cap, mouthpiece, and base open by fully spreading it out so that it dries completely
4 of 4
- Do not use a hair dryer to dry your HandiHaler device
- Do not use your HandiHaler device when it is wet. If needed, you may clean the outside of the mouthpiece with a clean damp cloth
How do I store SPIRIVA HandiHaler?
- Do not store SPIRIVA capsules in the HandiHaler device
- Store SPIRIVA capsules in the sealed blister package at room temperature between 68°F-77°F (20°C-25°C)
- Keep SPIRIVA capsules away from heat and cold (do not freeze)
- Store SPIRIVA capsules in a dry place. Throw away any unused SPIRIVA capsules that have been open to air
Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions about storing your SPIRIVA capsules.
Keep SPIRIVA HandiHaler, SPIRIVA capsules, and all medicines out of the reach of children.