You can reduce your risk of COPD flare-ups.
COPD also includes symptom flare-ups. Flare-ups are episodes of new or increasing symptoms, including cough, mucus, wheezing, shortness of breath, or tightness in the chest. When you experience a COPD flare-up, you may require treatment beyond your normal medications and, in some cases, flare-ups may require hospitalization. Talk to your doctor about ways to reduce the risk of COPD exacerbations.
What is a COPD symptom flare-up?
Flare-ups are episodes when symptoms like these get worse:
- Shortness of breath
- The presence of phlegm or mucus when you cough
- A feeling of tightness in the chest
With a flare-up, you may experience:
- A need for treatment beyond your normal medications
- Symptoms requiring hospitalization
If you experience a flare-up, call your doctor. A flare-up may require immediate medical attention. And if your symptoms are severe, call your doctor and 911.
SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help reduce the likelihood of COPD flare-ups and help you breathe easier:
- Once-daily SPIRIVA HandiHaler helps improve your lung function by keeping your airways open for up to 24 hours. SPIRIVA HandiHaler also helps reduce your risk of COPD flare-ups
- SPIRIVA HandiHaler will not provide the fast relief you need in the event of a flare-up, and can't replace your rescue inhaler for treating sudden breathing problems
- It's important to talk to your doctor about the separate roles of rescue and maintenance treatments
In addition to adding SPIRIVA HandiHaler to your treatment plan, there are things you can do to improve your overall health: if you smoke, quit, and try to identify your COPD triggers. Do everything you can to avoid respiratory illnesses or infections—talk to your doctor about the flu shot, pneumonia vaccine, and other things you can do, and how you can breathe better with SPIRIVA HandiHaler.