COPD and SPIRIVA HandiHaler
Breathing with COPD is no small thing.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a serious lung disease that usually causes breathing to get worse over time. COPD includes chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both. COPD also includes episodes called flare-ups (also known as exacerbations).
COPD is treatable.
- Start managing your COPD. Pay attention to symptoms, such as occasional shortness of breath and/or wheezing, as well as any loss of ability to be physically active. Quitting smoking is the only thing that can stop the progression of COPD
- Maintenance treatments like SPIRIVA HandiHaler and others can help you breathe better. Remember, check with your doctor to see what is right for you
- If you have COPD, SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help you breathe better and improve lung function by opening airways for 24 hours. SPIRIVA HandiHaler is not a rescue inhaler and should not be used for treating sudden breathing problems
- COPD flare-ups are episodes of new or increasing symptoms, including: cough, mucus, wheezing, shortness of breath, or tightness in the chest. When you experience a COPD flare-up, you may require treatment beyond your normal medications and, in some cases, flare-ups may require hospitalization
COPD is not the same as asthma. And although smoking is the number one cause of COPD, you don't have to be an active smoker to have COPD.
In this section, learn more about COPD and SPIRIVA HandiHaler:
- If you have chronic bronchitis associated with COPD, SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help you breathe better.
Learn more about how SPIRIVA HandiHaler opens airways
- SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help you breathe better if you have emphysema associated with COPD.
See how SPIRIVA HandiHaler can help treat emphysema
- SPIRIVA HandiHaler can reduce your risk of COPD flare-ups.