Benefits of COPD maintenance treatment
Maintenance and rescue treatments—you may need both.
A maintenance inhaler like SPIRIVA can't replace your rescue inhaler, but it can help you breathe better—and it may mean using your rescue inhaler less often.
Long-acting maintenance treatment with SPIRIVA
- Helps you breathe better continuously when taken every day
- Works for up to 24 hours with just
one daily dose
- Helps reduce your risk of flare-ups (also called exacerbations)
- SPIRIVA is not a rescue inhaler and should not be used for sudden breathing problems
- Taken at times when you experience worsening symptoms
- Lasts only 4-6 hours after a single dose
- Helps relax your airways so you can catch your breath quickly
Your doctor may prescribe a rescue inhaler to treat sudden breathing problems. Rescue inhalers generally work quickly to relax the muscles in the airways so you can breathe better.
But a maintenance medicine like SPIRIVA, taken regularly once a day, can help by opening airways and keeping them open to make breathing easier. SPIRIVA can also help reduce flare-ups.
If you find yourself using a rescue inhaler more often than usual, you should consider a maintenance treatment. Talk to your doctor to see if steroid-free SPIRIVA is right for you.